Monday, April 26, 2010

novel story - How to write a novel - Ten Rules for Writing

I'm closing in on the end of my last novel, and as always at this stage, I started thinking about the editing process for good. When I change, I began each element of the work which I participated. This was both be time consuming and frustrating. wanted my creative side has been pushed forward so that the editor to me to solve every single point until it is perfect. If it happens, my muse had slept, satisfied that I never get to the next paragraph. And believe me, watching it again and again been a whore.
After completing my second novel I have learned the need to do everything perfectly and just learned to ignore move with the script. Leave the main story of my head and on paper (or in my case, on the computer screen) was of the utmost importance - I knew I could always go back and fix things later. He helped an interesting work (as was to create my own excitement as high as he wrote) and kept the creative spirit is strong. In addition, my time is reduced in two first draft. I can not imagine back and do it now in the other direction.
But once the first draft is finished, it is time to critically examine and clean up. I made a series of notes to me over the years for this stage, memories of this or to see that, so that each manuscript is as good as I can get it. Some of these proposals by authors with more experience than I do - ideas from the great books, like the lessons of VIE by David Morrel writing and the writing of Stephen King. Earlier this week, I read a piece like, Elmore Leonard's ten rules of writing, and thought I share his ideas and my own success or failure in these areas, with you as a test this month it.
Ten Rules for Writing Elmore Leonard
1st Never open a book with time. I have never done this, which means it is so far so good.
2nd Avoid prologues. Now I knew that my success rate was not sustainable. I do not think I would increase the island voted so quickly. My heretical novel begins with a prologue. Leonard goes on to say that "they can be boring." I can certainly understand where he comes from the prologue, and took almost a heretic for that reason only. Ultimately, I decided to leave it, as I wanted to include basic information about the scenario before the reader encounters the main characters. I could not resist the temptation of writing the following, a cry of the angels.
3rd Never use a verb other than "said," to dialogue. I totally agree with that statement and do my best to avoid the temptation to do otherwise. I think, is that one of the most common mistakes new authors fall into, and it can certainly direct the reader from the text. I recently spent a coaching session with a client every writer is just this question. I have suffered from time to time, but it will be a big mistake, I'm scouring the ongoing work as soon as I enter the editing stage.
4th Use the Change never an adverb, the verb "said" ... Honestly, I did this suck. I'm getting better, but it tormented me for years and it is something I must remember, for example on a regular basis.
5th Keep your exclamation points under control. Although I often use in e-mail (no, I have not the foggiest idea why!) I do not struggle with it in my fiction.
6th Never use the word "coup" or "all hell broke loose. I think I am guilty of both, especially the first. I was more aware of the" coup "in my more recent work, but I know that, my first novel fought with him. "The hell broke loose" is cliché to use for everyone, the kind of horror for us.
7th Use regional dialect, dialect sparingly. I have no ear for languages, so I do not fall victim to this temptation. If you use dialect, it was always my belief that it should be used for the first few lines of dialogue to the fact that it establish a difference in the way of speaking was, but after that the dialogue must be written clearly, so that the reader does not struggle not to seek to understand everything that is said.
8th Avoid detailed descriptions of the characters. Again, I agree with this rule, with all my heart. The problem, I think, in the definition of what "detailed". What is enough? I'm not sure that a written answer to this. I know when I'm comfortable with the description, but I'm not sure I could say that, where the edge of the cliff.
9th Do not go into detail to describe, places and things. The reader's imagination can fill in as much detail that the writer must, and it behooves us all to remember. Of course, No. 8 see above for specific questions it raises.
10th Try to leave the part that readers tend to skip. The first time I read this, I laughed out loud. It is a true statement. I know, I know - Go over some sections where the author gave me (mostly lost at the center of an overdose of detail) - but only to determine when and where to cut products is difficult. Only one of the reasons why I so appreciate my publisher.
So there you have it. Ten rules for writing that we all benefit from the review on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment