Tuesday, April 27, 2010

novel story - Writing 101: Setting and characters - that it be made where?

Newspaper editors are happy to answer questions Quad W: Who, What, Where, When? I'm surprised how often any of these items is a story completely ignored or not adequately to the satisfaction of the reader (me).
The setting is often the key to success for a short story. Characterization may be less important. The short story reader, if a woman loves red shoes, if it is a very important point in history. Poe invented the short stories directly to the author of the book of Ruth in the Bible. Poe may our bones cool.
In the novels, both the characterization and setting are very important. These elements are often separated from those who tell us how to write, we want to treat. However, the characters have to be part of two ways: The character was born and raised in the middle or the character in the founding (introduced by the author).
The first is obvious in my sister's favorite book, as Green was My Valley. My sister died when she was eighteen years old and I inherited this book. We children Jones (and if) a half-Welch Welch and our children are interested in our heritage. We are half English too, but that half senseless, a child What is blood in his veins. My sister was able to identify with the people in the book.
I'll tell you how it is deep. When I had my wife and my son in England in 1984, I felt I had finally returned home. If we took the train to Wales and went, where my grandfather was, I knew I was home. I have heard stories about my great-grandfather of many. I knew his family, as he has been called in the night in the North Sea, and as he expelled from school and to the mines when he was nine years old.
His work in the mine helped his father prepare and set explosive charges in the face of the coal. I remember that I continually flowing water in the mine and the long-term top and bottom of the mine said. When the movie version of SAW How Green Was My Valley, you have the picture. I always thought, my grandfather was a teacher in league with the owners of mines, workers for the production of coal.
Import figures in a frame can be dramatic. Do you have a book by Jack Higgins (or movie) The Eagle Has Landed? German paratroopers are deposited in a British landscape. Your goal is to capture and Churchill brings him back to Germany, Vel, is her life! Another solution would be if Godzilla falls in Tokyo.
Back to the Set
Once you have decided to take to your characters in a particular setting, you must make sure that you have the right attitude. I like to draw a map of the settlement as a reference when writing. If the setting in a city that I want in the streets and available to mark the locations of major sites (like the house of Joe the friend's house, and the factory where he works). Sometimes writers such cards in the cover inside or in the text of her book.
Now that the event is taking place? If it is 1845 in the valley of Salt Lake City Mormon Temple is not on the map. In fact, you should plan something on your site that civilization have leaves. You can get a bit of Ute Indians hunt ducks on the shore of Great Salt Lake. You can mountain man Jim Bridger goes well - but the Mormons, including my grandfather and great-great-great-grandfather will not slip in 1847th
Your setting, you need to do some research. You must ensure the time (may just be "this), the position (real or imagined), customs, clothing, equipment, construction tools, weapons, and so on. This requires further investigation. When I write novels of the West, I collected a large library of books about the Wild West. Some of these books are to the writers. I could not find anything of contraception underwear.
When I was writing crime novels, I have the books in the "present". Bone China based my detective, Richard Lacey, York, Pennsylvania and was working in Lancaster County, in the city dummy Brentonville. There were a few minor adjustments, but most of the action takes place in the nearby "Brentonville." I lived in York, but while writing the novel I have several trips back to Lancaster County, and all the collected data I could on the situation.
In Bone China, one of the main characters is a ceramic engineer working in a ceramics factory. It was not a problem, it works like a ceramic engineer, speaking in a pottery. I am a ceramic engineer I in a ceramics factory, when I worked for the novel research. It made my search easier. They say that writers should know what to write. I say that authors write should fit, what they can find.
Search for a location is not only important that it's fun. You can deduct the costs if you have your trip strictly business. I have never done before, but I think you could convince the IRS to accept less. Well, I would not even try. I'm too honest.
After careful study of the parameter (s), you can then go to the object of your characters. How do they fit in?
Place your characters in the setting
I like drawing my characters, or collect pictures or illustrations, etc. For example, porcelain, Detective Richard Lacey was a football player. I have to collect no drawings or pictures of football players, such as a football player, is what the authors call a stereotype. However, the lady was different. Looked in my slick magazines for such a lady. It must be nice to be rich and well dressed.
Well, here is a point. Do not write long descriptions of the characters. Either the information leak. I mean, you have your characters in the regular dialogue will be revealed. George sat in his chair and said, "Wow! Where you have this beautiful silk dress, Mildred? Point - Well, I would not say!"
Their characters are like people in your control area live sound. Well, if dat ya Dink, "I goin 'I give ya to say'! I do not claim that you write. I prefer to use Frank was annoyed. "Well, if you think I'll give you that, if your readers that 't Know" is "d" Frank, you can do it by other means. You can not?
In my novels Western Bull Belt Mogollon and revenge. Many characters are stereotypes of the Old West. However, any character of the research are to some extent. Just do not assume that you know everything, if your character is a cliche. If there is a doctor Old West, research physicians Old West. People love the realism in fiction. But remember that if you get bored with the details to resolve your book.
Completion
Well, it's time to Mosey here and click on the Old Chisholm Trail.
How to find the practice of "Chisholm Trail" over the Internet and see what you find.
How about "medieval England?" What have you done?
The search is not as hard as you think.
Try "language of the Old West." Do you have the guidelines for the Old West Writer's?
Put 'puritanical manners and dress "into your search engine. What do you get? Suddenly, you learn more about King Philip's War and Oliver Cromwell.
Jump to http://www.pepysdiary.com/ and read a newspaper every day of the entry Pepy. Old Sam wrote the code in the 1600s but some body finally he exploded. As his language was different from you?
Well, I think you have it!
But go to your library and a book on the "setting" and a book about "characterization" written. You'll get too much better explanation there. If you want to buy a book, you can find copies on Amazon.com or Alibris.com used.
Your library has a copy of Writer's Digest. There are some very good articles on the subject in this book.
Finally there is software to help you write your novel. An example is http://www.newnovelist.com/
Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment